
SINGAPORE - When Akbar Nawas took over as head coach of Chennai City last year, the Indian football club had only three games to stave off relegation from the I-League.
They beat Churchill Brothers 3-1, lost 7-1 to East Bengal, before securing safety with a 2-1 win over Minerva Punjab in their final match.
A year later, former Tampines Rovers coach Akbar, assisted by ex-Hougang United coach and fellow Singaporean K. Balagumaran, helped Chennai complete a remarkable turnaround after Saturday's (March 9) come-from-behind 3-1 win over Minerva at the Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium in Tamil Nadu sealed a first league title for both club and coach.
With 13 wins, four draws and three defeats, they amassed 43 points, one ahead of second-placed East Bengal.
It is believed that the duo are the first Singaporean coaches to win a professional football league title outside of South-east Asia.
And they did it in swashbuckling style, scoring 48 goals in 20 matches, and never relinquishing their place at the top of the 11-team league from the third match week.
The Times of India summarised their triumph as "befitting their dominant campaign, the fulcrum of which was a sustained possession-based football".
Akbar, 43, told The Straits Times: "It is a great satisfaction after accepting the challenge of taking over a relegation-threatened team, and then winning the league within a year.
"Our team perform best when we are chasing the game. Thus, we didn't panic when we were behind (against Minerva on Saturday). I told the team we must end every attack with a chance at goal. I was pretty confident we could bounce back and win like we had done before."
Â
His sidekick Balagumaran, 54, added: "It is so overwhelming, I don't know if we are still in a dream.
"When we got here, the players we had were not from football academies, they were from the streets and so unpolished.
"Many of them are playing in their first professional season and now they have won their first professional league title.
"Personally, it is also the highlight of my career, but I hope there is more to come, and I also hope this opens the door for more Singaporean coaches to venture abroad."
With the league win, Chennai are eligible for the 2020 AFC Champions League qualifiers.
Hazard late show rescues Chelsea in Wolves draw - Vanguard News
Tigers 'riding' high as Candelario walks off Indians in 12th. Detroit — There were several positives the Detroit Tigers could take from Saturday's dramatic,
Tigers riding high into final home game after first win
Home United hope to build on their Community Shield win over Albirex Niigata to kickstart their Singapore Premier League campaign. The two sides faced-off for the first piece of silverware to
Tampines Rovers, Home United and Hougang United looking to
Klopp hails 'best night' of his life after ending final hex
Injuries open way for Sanchez and Lukaku to shine for United. By. AFP - February 26, 2019 7:37 PM. "They've been part of our training for a long time now," said Solskjaer.
Injuries open the way for Lukaku and Sanchez to shine for
Eden Hazard has paid tribute to his team-mate Cesc Fabregas, who is set to depart the club after four and a half seasons. The 31-year-old is closing in on a move to Monaco, where he will link up with manager Thierry Henry, a team-mate of Fabregas at Arsenal.
'I was lucky to play with him' - Hazard pays tribute to
Rosell, his wife and four others, were accused of "large-scale money laundering" of close to 20 million euros ($23 million) since 2006, relating Spain court acquits former FC Barcelona president
Spain court acquits former Barcelona president of money
Tottenham Boss Mauricio Pochettino has said he is disappointed at his two-match touchline ban by the English Football Association.Pochettino will be absent from the dugout for games against Southampton and Liverpool as punishment for a confrontation with referee Mike Dean at Burnley last month."I am a little bit in
Mauricio Pochettino labels two-game touchline ban 'completely
By Peter Hall. May 4 (Reuters) - Tottenham Hotspur manager Mauricio Pochettino remained defiant despite his side preparing for their Champions League semi-final second leg against Ajax Amsterdam
Pochettino defiant as poor Tottenham form continues
We're not favourites against Germany: Van Dijk
Sergio Aguero's 20th Premier League goal of the season left Manchester City just two wins from the title after a hard-fought 1-0 victory over Burnley at Turf Moor on Sunday. Aguero, who has now scored nine times in his past eight appearances against Burnley, struck in the 63rd minute, with a shot that only just […]
Aguero inches City closer to title - Newspaper - DAWN.COM
BERLIN: Bundesliga leaders Bayern Munich beat Werder Bremen 3-2 with two goals from Robert Lewandowski on Wednesday to advance to the German Cup final for the second straight year and keep the
Bayern reach German Cup final to keep double in sight | The
Sissoko unaware Tottenham had advanced. had advanced to the Champions League semi-finals until a member of the coaching staff informed him in the dressing room that Manchester City's last
Tottenham Hotspur's Moussa Sissoko says he was unaware Raheem
Yerry Mina would be a good signing for Manchester United this summer, according to Red Devils legend Wes Brown. Manchester United are weighing up alternative options to improve the Red Devils
Man Utd's 6-1 loss to Man City is my 'worst ever day' - Sir
Cardiff City chairman Mehmet Dalman said on Tuesday the club will pay the fee for striker Emiliano Sala if they are contractually required to do so. Sala had signed for the Premier League side and was flying to his new team from his old club Nantes in France when his plane went missing over the Channel on January 21.
Cardiff to pay Sala fee if necessary - Report | New Straits
0 komentar:
Posting Komentar